Workout Of The Day For Thursday, 10/8… “The Slow Roast.”
Wow… things have really started to take off with this workout of the day thing, and it sounds like some of you are pretty much following it as a training program… Neat.
Thank you for the positive vibes, the feedback, and the topic suggestions/requests. You’ve given me some great ideas, and I will do my best to follow through for you…
So, on to today’s workout…
Today we’re going to do the “Slow Roast” workout. Here’s how it goes:
– first of all, this one is a little bit longer than most of the workouts we do – you’re looking to budget 2-2 1/2 hours.
– No real warm up effort required for this one, either. You can pretty much hop on the bike and go…
– So, hop on the bike.
– Ramp up to a level that’s roughly 20 beats below your zone 5 heart rate level or a wattage that’s 25% below your “Classic 2×20” average, or just at the limit of comfortable conversation. You can talk comfortably, but any harder and you couldn’t.
– Hold at this level for the duration of the ride – ideally for 2-2 1/2 hours.
– Go home, eat, relax, recover.
– Yeah, this exercise is just as simple as it sounds. Nice not to have to use the stopwatch, eh?
– Yeah, this is a “Dead Zone” exercise. Don’t worry about it – there’s method to the madness, I promise…
– If you’re hammered from yesterday, take it easy today instead, and do an hour long recovery ride instead…