Happy Black Friday!
Yuck. Yeah, let’s not go to the mall today.
Let’s maybe go for a ride instead, eh?
If you’ve got the day off today, there’s probably going to be a big temptation to get out there and spend a bunch of time on the bike today.
If you’re racing this weekend – and you care about the race – you should probably try to avoid this temptation. Unless you’ve been doing long rides on Friday all season. I kinda’ doubt you’ve been doing that.
Not racing this weekend?
Have at it! Enjoy the day off, go ride with your buddies, have fun!
It’s Can Openers today…
– Warm up for 1/2 hour or so, spinning easy with a couple of short bursts thrown in.
– Follow with several short attacking efforts, IE 30 seconds at 80% of your max, or pretty damn hard. 2 – 3 of ’em.
– Back off and spin for 5 minutes.
– Follow with 10-15 minute effort at right about your 2×20 output level, or “I could talk to you if I had to, but I don’t want to” level.
– Spin for several minutes.
– Follow with 5-6 hard 10 second efforts, ideally on CX type variable terrain, level or slightly uphill.
– Finish with 5-6 start efforts on a straight section of paved road, level or slightly uphill. You want to begin these from a dead stop, with one foot unclipped. Do not stop until you get at least 3 perfect starts in a row, and I mean perfect. This is the cross equivalent of practicingfree throws. Make ‘em count!
– spin out the legs, go home, and get ready for the race.
If you aren’t racing tomorrow, but you are racing on Sunday, try to take it easy today. Maybe even take the day off the bike. Got the day off work? Take it really easy today. Get some serious recovery in.
Day off just not your style?
If you’re going to go ride with the roadie crew, keep your powder dry. Tail gun the ride, take soft pulls, do as little as possible, keep it short. Be that guy.
Better yet, just go for a…
1.5 – 2 Hour Moderate Ride –
Get on your bike.
Go ride for 2 hours.
No hard efforts, but do throw in a couple of moderate ones. By moderate, I mean just that. You can sprint for the town line, but you should be laughing while you do it.
You’re not doing a recovery spin, so you need to put a little bit of gas into the pedals… just don’t go out and kill yourself.
Check out the view, smell the flowers, just do it while you’re putting a little bit of effort into the pedals.
1 notch above a recovery ride.
Thanks for following my blog!
This thing started off as a lark, and over the years that I’ve been doing it, has become a little bit of a monster.
It takes a fair bit of time – and a wee bit of money – to keep this thing rolling, and as you may have noticed, I’ve recently started asking for folks to chip in a bit if they feel like what they’re getting her is worth something to them.
Honestly, it’s not like I’m trying to get rich off this here thing… or really even make any money from it at all.
It’d just make my life a fair bit easier if I didn’t lose quite as much money doing this as I currently do.
It’d just make my life a fair bit easier if I didn’t lose money doing this!
So, hey… if you feel like you’ve gotten anything of value out of this blog, please do me a favor – and yes, it’s a favor, and I will be truly thankful for it – and send a buck or two (or five, or whatever…) my way.
How do you do that?
Simply click on the graphic below, and PayPal will be glad to make it happen.